Why do we teach PE?
Physical education is an essential contributor to the development of the whole child. Through the teaching of PE, we promote for all pupils a positive attitude towards an active lifestyle. By becoming physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness, children develop an understanding of the importance of a healthy lifestyle and balanced diet. It provides pupils with the opportunity to be creative, competitive and face up to different challenges as individuals and in groups and teams.
Physical education helps pupils develop personally and socially. They work as individuals, in groups and teams, developing concepts of fairness and of personal and social responsibility. They take on different roles and responsibilities, including leadership, officiating and coaching.
How we teach PE
Our PE programme incorporates a variety of sports and fundamental skills to ensure all children develop the confidence, tolerance and their own aspirations. We give all children the chance to engage in extra-curricular activities during and after school, in addition to competitive sporting events. It is an inclusive approach which endeavours to encourage not only physical development but also a positive wellbeing and mindset for all pupils.
Enrichment is central to PE giving all children opportunities to compete within school and with other schools. This builds character and encourages a positive mindset, raising aspirations and personal pride for all. Every lesson and PE competition promotes values such as fair play, cooperation and collaboration with others as part of a team, respect for others and the aspiration to be more. These valuable life skills will help children succeed at our school and beyond.
What your child will learn
- Enjoy taking part in PE and have positive attitudes towards sport and physical activity
- Take responsibility for their own health and fitness, developing a love of sport, leading to a happy and healthy life
- Develop competence and control in gross and fine motor skills that they need to take part in PE and sport
- The process of risk management, in order to establish good habits and awareness of safety and personal hygiene
- Use imaginative ways to express and communicate ideas, solve problems and overcome challenges, both as individuals and as part of a team or group
- Recognise that sport is an important part of a healthy, active lifestyle and understand that this supports having a healthy body and mind
- Develop stamina, suppleness, strength, determination and resilience
PE Long Term plan-2 year cycle
23/24- Year A
24/25- Year B